With Safety First, Our Doors are Open!
June 11, 2020
Note: The Governor's most recent order to close certain businesses does not yet seem to apply to our use, which is categorized under, "Day Camps" under the State of California guidelines. We are going to great lengths to provide short classes with safety measures in place, meeting and surpassing recommendations in state, county and local guidelines. We CAN choose to change our minds and close for any reason, but for the time being, our limited class plans will commence in August.
Scroll down for all written safety policies.
With safety at the forefront of our minds, we have allowed limited classes to meet starting on August 1.
Online classes continue!
Yes, all students and teachers must wear masks.
REOPENING & SCHEDULING
If you are considering bringing your child to restart, please be aware that a spot may or may not be available, and that at any time and for any reason, we may elect to reverse course and close our doors, entirely at our sole discretion.
- Because each class will be limited to roughly half of normal enrollment to allow six feet of distance between artists, we need to ask everyone to be flexible around scheduling. Need a new class time? Schedule or reschedule classes here.
- If the class time you want most is full, please join the wait list, as we may be able to accommodate you!
- Online classes continue! Register here for online classes.
- Because teachers, rather than students, will clean all art supplies, classes will end five minutes earlier than before.
SOCIAL DISTANCING, SANITATION & SAFETY POLICIES
Students & Parents
- Everyone will wear masks
- Have students use the restroom and thoroughly wash their hands before they leave the house.
- Students will wait outside the studio, social distancing with a parent, and enter following a quick temperature check and hand-washing or sanitizing.
- Parents will remain outside of the studio, and may call the teacher inside the studio if they have any questions.
- We require that any known case of COVID-19 in a student’s household be reported to our office on the day that it is discovered.
- Students are not to come to the studio with any of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or new loss of taste or smell. Makeup classes will be provided for symptomatic children.
- Students whose temperature reads over 100.4 degrees will be sent home.
- Students who would like to wear an apron must come in wearing their own; no aprons will be provided.
- Students must stay 6 feet from any other person wherever possible.
- Parents must sign an Assumption of Risk and Liability Waiver on paper or digitally, as an addendum to the Waiver section in Art Steps Customer Portal.
- Students who either will not or cannot abide by the above requirements for any reason will be asked to leave the premises as soon as it is safe to do so, per the teacher’s or Studio Manager’s sole discretion.
- Art Steps reserves the right to ask any particular student not to return to the studio for any reason, and reserves the right to require written documentation of a negative COVID-19 test or of sufficient quarantine before allowing a student into the studio.
- Front and back doors will be kept open for ventilation whenever possible.
- Each classroom will be outfitted with an air purifier, whose filter will be changed at least on a monthly basis.
- To minimize use of small, enclosed spaces such as the restroom, students may step outside briefly, always within view of the teacher, to wash hands and dump old paint water at the door.
- Fans at the door may be used to direct air out of the studio.
Materials, Supplies & Furniture
- All art supplies will be single-use only within the same day. All used art supplies will be thoroughly sanitized every evening.
- Students may elect to bring in their own art supplies. Purchase the brands we use in-studio, here.
- Teachers will pre-pull next picture choices for each student before class, so that students are not touching curriculum books.
- Teachers will thoroughly clean and sanitize all benches, restrooms, and any other shared surfaces between classes and at the end of the night.
- Where possible, for individualized coaching and critiques, students will drop artwork off at the front of the room or coach from a distance, teachers may briefly approach students in the course of the class several times.
- Teachers will use pointers over a child’s shoulder where possible, to lend specificity to verbal instruction while keeping a safe distance away.
- Teachers will refrain from hands-on instruction (ever touching a child’s hand).
- Class sizes are reduced from 12 to six per classroom. The maximum capacity of each classroom will be eight: Two staff members plus six students.
- Each staff member self-screens for and attests that they do not have any of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or new loss of taste or smell. Any staff members who have any of these symptoms, believe they have been exposed to COVID-19 who are ill, or who appear ill, will be required to stay home, and will be asked to leave if they arrive at the studio.
- Staff will be required to wash hands upon entrance to the studio and then every thirty minutes.
- Staff will have their temperatures taken upon arriving to the studio, and any staff member with a temperature of over 100.4 degrees will be sent home.
- If a staff member has come into contact with another person who has been diagnosed with COVID-19, they must inform their studio Director/Manager immediately. At that time, they will be put on leave for a minimum of fourteen (14) days and must be tested before they return to work.
- To be sure that we can follow social distancing guidelines through August, all 2020 Summer Workshops will now take place online or outside of the studio.
- We will keep you posted if we find ourselves able to run any in-person workshop camps this year.
- No introductory classes will be held for the month of July with parents in the room. After this month, management will use its discretion on whether or not to allow Free Introductory Classes to take place as usual, with a parent sitting in.
What Will We Do If Someone Tests Positive for COVID-19?
- All staff and students that had contact with an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19, whether an Art Steps staff member or student, will be contacted immediately. The name of the individual who reported being positive must be kept confidential by management.
- Art Steps staff that have had contact with said person will need to immediately self-quarantine for up to fourteen (14) days.
- The Art Steps studio will be immediately shut down for at least 24 hours, and a deep cleaning and thorough ventilation will be done.
- All Art Steps staff who had contact with said individual will need to take a COVID-19 test and get a negative reading in order to return to work (after having self-quarantined for up to 14 days).
We will continue our online program
throughout this social distancing period for as long as possible.
Wishing all of our families the best.